Shel Silverstein

Shel Silverstein
Boa Constrictor by Shel Silverstein

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Personal Reflection

Self Assessment
On Thursday evening I felt that our lesson was fun and interactive.  I actually felt relieved that we taught out lesson but I also felt we did well but could of done better. After reading my peers comment  I realized that the areas I felt we did not well were the same areas that my peers commented on.

The introduction: We used Shel Silverstein CD to engaged our students.  One of the students stated that a poem on the cd sounded familiar to them. As I read the objective in front of my peers I realized that maybe we should of listed an objective for each center so that the students had a clear understanding of each centers goal. Once we moved onto the next slide "Boa Constrictor" poem students seemed engaged and cleared about what was expected at that time.

Center Presentation: 
Listening Center:  I felt good and confident when explaining the voice recording however I displayed a little fustration because I realized I left my notes. As a result of that I forgot to displayed microsoft on the screen so that I can explain visually what was expected. Instead my immediate thought was to grab the board and explain it the students.  Which I feel was still effective because they were going to work on the center anyway.
 Digital Portfolio  I feel that since this was the focus point of our lesson. That more time should of been spent on explaining this center and actual visual demonstrations should of been displayed. Students should been advised that their work was going to be evaluated and assessed for this center.

Story Maker:  was fun and I enjoyed this centered the most. Again I wanted to give a visual presentation but my nerves got the best of me and I did not remember to highlight the link right click and Wala the linked would of opened.

Magnetic Funny Poetry: I also enjoyed this center however, I realized that the students  said did not understand the instructions on the board; that they had to create one sentence with thier partner and another group would add to their sentence.

I feel that both my partner and I did well in faciliating and supporting our students.  We walk around and observed who was working and needed a little assistance on staying on tasks.  I did get to hear everyones story from the Dr. Suess storymaker center so I was able to assess their understanding and expectations of the this particular center.  We also viewed all the digital portfolios during the process and after they completed their assignment as well.

Overall I felt that if we would of explained the other 3 center the way the first one was model that the students would of had less difficult time understanding what was expected of them.   I wish I relaxed myself enough to give them exactly what I expected and invision our lesson to be.  But I am happy because the students were engaged and having fun once they understood what was expected.

For the future I will take make sure to be relaxed, give each center their own objective, be clear on what students will be assessed on, provide more time for each learning center and advise the centers that the center would be available throughout the week prior to setting free to work at the center choice.  The activities and my partner and I chosed were definitely fun and interactive and I loved them and enjoyed teaching it the class.
TTYL

No comments:

Post a Comment